Sunday, January 13, 2008

The end of the string or the begining of the string?

Balls of yarn have a beginning and an end. Some knitters knit from the 'end' that's inside, thus making that end, the beginning. Other knitters start from the outside, making that the beginning.

So what makes the beginning and the end of a ball of yarn, is where the knitter starts, not what society might dictate.

So is this blog and end, or a beginning?

No idea yet.

In mid November I was informed:

Dear Francesca;

As part of a regular and ongoing renewal of our editorial pages, we have decided to discontinue Running With Scissors. I want to thank you for the very many excellent pieces you have written for us over the years.

Should you wish to continue writing for us from time to time, we would still consider your submissions on a one-off basis, or as a member of our all-volunteer community editorial board.

Best,

Michael Den Tandt
Editor
The Sun Times


After 5 years, an email, to say 'thanks' but we're done here.

I've spent the last month and a half trying to figure out where to take my "voice" and go from here.

Blogging "Running With Scissors" seemed to defeat the purpose in that I felt I should be paid for my writing, as an artist.

But I've also realized I've got pent-up issues that I want to discuss and there is no outlet.

So today I promised myself I'd do a weekly blog. I've got a daily blog for the United Way, which I can't seem to get to daily, so I'm not falling into that trap again.

So does this represent the end of Running With Scissors, or the beginning of a new Running With Scissors?

Who knows. But as a wise knitter, I know better than to think the sweater is finished with only one ball of yarn started.

1 comment:

mrG said...

"Blogging "Running With Scissors" seemed to defeat the purpose in that I felt I should be paid for my writing, as an artist.

But I've also realized I've got pent-up issues that I want to discuss and there is no outlet.
"

heh ... I think you have that backwards. I think you meant to say you felt you should be paid as a professional, a term for which the etymology says means a recognition of stature by one's peers. Artists, on the other hand, history tells, do what they do for precisely the reason you give next, that there is something burning inside them, and they cannot help but do the thing they do, paid or not, even if it means ostracism, exile and poverty.

Picasso said his painting was just another way of keeping a diary. That's not to say you won't maybe someday gain the recognition of stature and the tenure that may accompany that, it is only to say that this as the aim misses the point.

So do keep burnin' ... and keep on runnin'!